useable, provided by Accessible Community, associates people with disabilities’ requirements for use with broader functional categories and known disabilities. This taxonomy crosses digital and physical spaces as well as accommodations in a way that previous categorizations have not. This type of mapping is needed to help build tools and resources to help the entire disability community.
useable taxonomy is based around previous work in the fields of accessibility and accommodations:
- Functional Performance Criteria provided by the United States Section 508 Standards for Digital Accessibility.
- Functional Performance Statements provided by the European EN 301-549 Standards for Digital Accessibility.
- The Listing of Impairments for adults provided by the United States’ Social Security Administration (SSA).
- Guide to the List of Recognised Disabilities provided by the Australian Government Department of Social Services.
- The disability and accommodation taxonomy provided by the Job Accommodation Network.
- Framework for Accessible Specification of Technologies (FAST) provided by the World Wide Web Consortium (W3C).
We welcome comments and feedback to encourage the establishment of a worldwide mapping to help build tools and solutions for people with disabilities. Please create or comment on any of the current GitHub issues.